Happy Birthday, USA...Let’s Celebrate Sustainably!
This 4th of July we challenge you to celebrate a
RED, WHITE, & BLUE and add "GREEN" to your holiday!
245 years ago, when our forefathers signed the Declaration of Independence, our county’s environment was much healthier. This year, as we gather with family & friends for backyard or beachfront barbecues, we challenge you to show your patriotism for our country and think about our planet by doing your part to make your celebration eco-friendly while still having fun!
Let your family & friends know that you will be hosting a sustainable celebration. Here are some suggestions to help make it happen…
- Shop locally and support your local organic farmers. Fresh fruits & vegetable are delicious and healthy.
- Reduce waste by using cloth napkins (bandanas are a colorful & inexpensive alternative), reusable cutlery and dinnerware and serve your food and beverages in reusable containers...not plastic!
- Set up a "Recycle Station" at your party to dispose of bottles, cans and all recyclable items.
- Decorate by reusing red, white & blue Christmas lights, fresh flowers from the garden or a big bowl of fresh strawberries, blueberries and bananas.
- Compost food scraps.
- Leave the fireworks to the professionals – encourage your community to consider gunpower free fireworks launched with compressed air (like the ones you see at Disney!) That will minimize the amount of smoke and dangerous chemicals emitted into our environment.
- What is un-patriotic is the large amounts of waste left behind after holiday celebrations. Leave no trace behind on our beaches and public places.
- KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! On July 5th, volunteer for one of the many beach sweeps or litter clean-up activities
If we all chip in, we can make the world a better place for future generations while celebrating our independence. All of us at Swell Vision wish you a safe, happy & sustainable 4th of July!