If you are like me, and many other millennials, with no cable TV, then you may not be watching the 2016 Olympic Games live this year. If you do not want to appear ignorant when the topic comes up in casual conversation, then check out the fun facts below. Pull one of these out of your back pocket and everyone will think that you are very well-versed in this time honored tradition.
- These games are officially known as the Games of the XXXI Olympiad.
- More than 11,000 athletes are compete this year.
- First time entrants Kosovo and South Sudan, are scheduled to take part.
- The games will feature 28 unique sports.
- Rio will become the first South American city to host the Summer Olympics.
- These will be the first games to be held in a Portuguese-speaking country, the first to be held entirely during the host country's winter season.
- The bidding process for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games was officially launched on 16 May 2007.
- The Olympic flame was lit at the temple of Hera in Olympia on 21 April 2016, the traditional start of the Greek phase of the torch relay.
- A total of 7.5 million tickets will be sold for this years' games.
- The two new sports for 2016 Olympic Games are golf and rugby sevens.
- Bulgarian and Russian weightlifters were banned from Rio Olympics for numerous anti-doping violations.
And if you do have cable, below you will find a schedule for the events: